The mega-cute Slugcat is both the primary protagonist and single playable character in Rain World. It is a small white creature with black eyes, thin arms, comparatively broad legs with small feet, broad-ended ears, and a thick tail that tapers to a point. The player must keep the Slugcat alive as they explore the world, confront strange creatures, and take part in challenging quests. Slugcat has a variety of movement abilities, which can be found detailed on the controls page.
Backstory[edit | edit source]
The intro cutscene starts at a huge tree, with a family of Slugcats living there. The family of Slugcats sets off from the tree and start to explore. At one point the cutscene shows the family eating bats and then focuses on a juvenile Slugcat in the middle, the game's protagonist. The Slugcat looks to the sky, and a raindrop falls on their nose, showing the viewer that the rain has begun. The family starts to move to a hibernation pod or other safe place, but when they try to cross a broad pipe, lightning strikes and the juvenile Slugcat falls into the water below. The cinematic ends by showing the viewer the Slugcat waking up after the rain.
This is when you take control of the Slugcat, and your mission is to survive, thrive in, and ultimately explore the cruel but beautiful world around you.
Food[edit | edit source]
In order to survive, Slugcat must continue to eat whatever is available in this harsh landscape. Slugcat will find a variety of food, from fruits and fungus to bats and bugs. Some food will be easy to acquire, while others must be chased down or killed first. Some food will even fight back as Slugcat attempts to make a meal of it. Normally food is smaller and less threatening than Slugcat itself, but the Hunter is known to eat creatures further up the foodchain than itself.
Slugcat varieties[edit | edit source]
Different sub-species of Slugcat have different abilities and traits as well as different difficulties. These can be selected from the start up screen even if the game has never been completed. There are four playable variants of the Slugcat:
- Yellow Slugcat (The Monk): The Slugcat most in tune with nature. Requires less food to hibernate, is better attuned to Karma gates, and has fewer predators than its kin.
- White Slugcat (The Survivor): The game's iconic Slugcat, fighting to survive in a world with dangerous enemies and a constant hunt for food.
- Red Slugcat (The Hunter): A stronger and more agile variety of Slugcat, this creature is high-maintenance than the others. Can store a spear on its back and eat large predators, but it only has a limited time on this world.
- Black Slugcat (The Watcher): A Slugcat with white eyes only featured in the game's Arena game modes, has the same abilities as the Survivor.
A deeper description of game play with each of these Slugcats can be found on the difficulties page.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- All four Slugcats are playable in the game's Arena modes, but they all play similar to the Survivor in Single Player.